old pictures of Indonesia

Pages

October 23, 2014

Kali Pintoe Ketjil


Kleine Poort is the name that was used to refer to the Jl. Pintu Kecil (Small Door street). Pintu Kecil name derived from the name of the door to get into the fortress of Batavia. Pintu Kecil becomes an alternative way for those who are going into or out of the city walls. Because the main door which are Buiten Nieuwpoort and Binnen Straat (now Jalan Pintu Besar Utara and Pintu Besar Selatan) was closed at night to prevent attacks from Banten Sultanate army. Pintu Kecil is located on the south side of the city walls. The door was, according to some historical sources, situated near Diest Bastion. No wonder if the Pintu Kecil also mention as Diestpoort (Diest Gate)


The location of Pintu Kecil is not far from the Great River. Formerly at this location there were so much Chinese architecture buildings. At the present time, the buildings have already vanished. After the “rebellion” from the Chinese in October 1840, VOC ban the Chinese people dwelt inside the fort. Pintu Kecil including Glodok become the Chinese Camp. The VOC made this area as a tool to monitor the Chinese in Batavia

Since the beginning of the 20th century, Pintu Kecil has been transformed into a center of trade and business of the Chinese. At that time Pintu Kecil had become the Batavia Wallstreet. Pintu Kecil at the present time more easily recognized as a street to Asemka or Pasar Pagi (Morning Market). In this Pintu Kecil, the textile merchants also gathered because this region is a center for textile wholesaler. It is said that until the 1970s – when the business and trade is still based in the Jakarta Kota, this was the place where the circulation of money.

Facebook